Monday, October 25, 2010

Two Upcoming Series: Rule #1 Blitz and USCCB Investment Guidelines

Rule #1 Blitz
Before the advent of Netflix in Canada (which was a few weeks ago), I had to actually drive to the nearest Blockbuster to rent a movie.  So, one weeknight last year, my wife Renee and I decided that we needed some entertainment.  I'm usually the selfish one and pick an action or sci-fi flick, but this time, I was feeling especially benevolent and let Renee choose the movie.  She quickly picked up a movie with 2 actresses on the cover.  I recognized the older one being Meryl Streep, but the other, I did not know.  Examining it some more, I saw the title of the movie, "Julie & Julia".  I gave up a groan, thinking that it was probably going to be like that other movie, "Being Julia", that Renee dragged me to watch at the theatres a few years ago...a typical girl movie about romance, love, and dysfunctional women.  Why couldn't she pick something better, like, Resident Evil or something like that? ;)

When we got home, I reluctantly plopped myself onto the couch, not expecting much other than 2 hours of yawning.  About 10 minutes into the movie, I was a little intrigued because the story revolved around Julie, who was planning to blog about her experience cooking all of Julia Child's recipe in the next 365 days.  At that time, I had just started this blog and thought it was kind of cool that the movie was actually about blogging.  At the end of those 2 hours, I was thoroughly impressed, partly because it was actually based on a real story!  The movie gave me some motivation to continue blogging and I have to thank Renee for picking that awesome movie.

Anyway, why did I bring this up?  I thought I'd follow Julie's footsteps.  Blogging takes motivation and dedication.  I can't say I'm writing as much as I'd like to, and so, I'm going to challenge myself.  I'm going to go on a blitz.  For the next 10 weeks, I'm going to analyze a company with my Rule #1 spreadsheet and write about it.  I don't have a list of companies to analyze yet, and so, I'm open for suggestions.  Please leave a comment if you'd like me to analyze any particular company (traded in the US).  Now that I have announced this, I can't back down.  So, here we go...10 weeks, 10 analyses!

USCCB's Socially Responsible Investment Guidelines
In addition, I'm going to do a dissection of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishop's Socially Responsible Investment Guidelines.  I've talked about ethical investing on this blog before, but have never done a rigorous series on the topic.  So, here it is!

These couple of months are going to be exciting.  I'm pumped!  Please keep this blog in your prayers!

4 comments:

  1. Felix, I hate a company that many others love: Johnson & Johnson. I'd be curious to get your take on it.

    I'm excited for your next ten weeks. (I also admit I liked the movie--with my wife ALSO picked out!)

    Maybe you present some of your findings down the road on our monthly call.

    Keep up the God work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Felix,

    I saw the movie too and liked it not so much because it's about blogging but it's about food. I liked Julie's funny and spontaneously writing style.

    I dusted off the Rule # 1 book last week (while I was sick at home) since I realize I don't want to retire poor. So, I've been analyzing a couple of company with YOUR Rule #1 template (nice job, btw, works pretty well for me). I've done a couple companies so far and I'll email them to you to make sure i'm doing them right.

    The Big 5 for RIM (ticker: RIMM) looks pretty good. And the sticker vs. entry price is in the right ball park. So, I'd like to see you do more analysis on it in terms of Management and opportunities for growth.

    Siu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, I agree with you on J&J...from a purely stock perspective, J&J has some merit. They've been around for a long time and has a long history of steady dividend increases. The stock has fared quite well in the 2 great bear markets of this decade. However, they've had a string of recalls lately and have mishandled them. I don't know too much, but I promise to do some digging!

    Siu, I'm glad you're taking some initiative in ensuring a comfortable retirement! I'll take a look at your spreadsheets. I've run RIMM through before and they looked solid. Despite what people are saying about their future (i.e. iPhone and Android eating its lunch), I think they're at a good price. I'll dedicate a post to one of your companies!

    Thanks to both of you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete